In our daily lives we do several such things that become some of the key water pollution causes. The things that we do to make our lives convenient or to trigger progress for mankind in turn harms the environment in various ways be it in the form of soil, air, or water pollution. So below are some of the key water pollution facts that can make you aware of the causes, solutions and also some of the water pollution effects.
20 water pollution facts that you must know
- Every year water pollution causes 250 million recorded cases of water generated diseases with about 5-10 million cases of death.
- Water pollution statistics have produced that 45% streams of USA, 32% of her bays and 475 of her lakes are polluted beyond recovery these are effects of nitrogen and phosphorus deposition from industrial wastes
- 50% of earth’s groundwater reserve is becoming non suitable for drinking due water pollution effects and now only about .007% of water is accessible for the use of mankind.
- The water pollution facts state that sanitation problems claim more and more lives in diseases than the amount of lives lost in any war
- The water pollution statistics also say that in every twenty seconds a kid dies from water generated ailment. Children in a polluted ambience can carry around 1,000 parasitic viruses in their bodies at any point of time and this is due to their developing immune system.
- At any point of time, half of the hospital beds in the world are occupied by patients suffering from water borne diseases.
- Around 85% of the actual of area of Bangladesh has groundwater that is contaminated with arsenic and is thus considered poisonous for human use. This is the reason why 1-2 million people in Bangladesh are exposed to the lethal effects of arsenic polluted water.
- Septic and sanitary systems in many countries use the nearest river waters as a place of dumping, these untreated sanitary and even industrial wastes that are unleashed in the river waters hurt the river animals and also according to ocean pollution facts they harm the oceanic ecosystem.
- Asian rivers are becoming infamous day by day for their rising pollution levels. Scientific researchers have found out that that these rivers contain three times as much bacteria from human wastes as the universal average and 20 times more iron and lead than rivers in other industry oriented countries.
- The King River in Australia is considered one of the most lethally contaminated and polluted rivers in the world. In this river more than 1 million sea birds and 100,000 river water mammals and other organisms have died due to the toxins and the intense acid level in the water.
- In Ireland around 30% of the rivers are contaminated from sewage and fertilizers which make it impossible for aquatic life to sustain and that is also harmful for fishing, swimming and other aquatic sports.
- The United Nations have estimated that by the year 2025, around forty eight countries having a combined population of about 2.8 billion are bound to face sweet water or drinking water scarcity. http://ks.water.usgs.gov/
- Ocean pollution facts state that every year about 25% of the beaches in USA are closed down at least for once yearly because of sea water pollution. They face either oil spillage hazards or dead creatures drifting ashore for the rise of pollution level in the seas.
- Among the agricultural countries of the world America only uses more than 2.2 billion pounds of pesticides each year, which is consequently washed into the rivers and lakes.
- Water pollution facts also put forward that wastage of water in urban areas are more than rural areas and even farmlands it is said that only Americans in their daily shower of 5 minutes use more water than a person in a other countries use in an entire day.
- The river Mississippi that drains more than forty percent of continental USA, carry an approximate amount of 1.5 metric tons of nitrogen based pollutants into the Gulf of Mexico each year. This pollution is causing a dead coastal zone every summer which is almost the entire area of Massachusetts.
- Oil spillage which is a common occurrence in the oil rig areas or that which are caused by a sinking ship carrying massive cargos of oil are poisoning the sea beds, so that every many species of animals and corals are getting lost.
- Hot water from industries are rising the temperature of seas and oceans.
- Even tourism causes water pollution from the diesels of the sea vessels and speedboats.
- A shocking count of 320 million people in China has no access to pure drinking water.
So folks hope these flabbergasting facts about water pollution will stir your consciousness so that you take positive steps to prevent them.
Day in day out the progress of science is making human lives convenient but one of the key products of 20th Century science nuclear waste is creating ruckus to the environment. From rocket science to medical science the use of nuclear power is increasing everyday but then why should we overlook the dangers that unorganized usage and disposal of nuclear energy is doing to our lives? Nuclear science is making revolutions in the history of mankind but the mismanagement of nuclear waste disposal is causing the nuclear pollutions in the world. If you are still unaware take a look the below list to know what harm it is doing to mankind and the entire earth.
The 10 most important effects of nuclear waste
- The nuclear power plants produce huge amount of nuclear wastes which either goes down to the nearest water bodies or mixes up in the soil and this in turn reduces the fertility of the soil and the death of various aquatic creatures.
- One of the nuclear waste facts that should not be ignored is that any kind of exposure to nuclear radiation be it from a waste or while working in the plants can cause cell damage, defect of DNA or the CNS
- So nuclear waste disposal needs to be very organized and careful, preferably in a box of lead.
- Nuclear waste problems are crippling many of the developed nations which are so densely populated that industries do not get a land away from the localities to dispose these things.
- Mining and thorium, uranium refining places emit a lot of nuclear that cause marine water poisoning so that even swimming, or having fishes from these water bodies can make you a victim of the danger of nuclear waste. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26441154
- Non stochastic or immediate causes of health hazards one of the effects of nuclear waste this can happen due to high level of direct exposure to radioactive radiations. This happens among workers in nuclear plants who do not wear radiation proof costumes. They face problems such as nausea, dizziness, abdomen pain, loss of eye sight and so on.
- On the other hand danger of nuclear waste health hazards can be long term or stochastic they work slowly to damage the body and only later do they show up in a fatal form like neural problems, internal hemorrhage, change in the chemical composition of blood, birth defects in later generations and even death.
- One of the important nuclear waste facts is that Northern Europe owing to its abundance of nuclear processing plants is becoming the haven of nuclear waste oriented troubles. The nuclear waste storage there is going out of hands due to the uncountable nuclear plants both legal and illegal.
- Even considerable amount of chemotherapy can cause radiation problems among patients so that even though they cure from cancer their immune system becomes depleted making their bodies and bones weak so that they don’t survive many years.
- Nuclear waste storage should be done far away from the human residential areas in a black lead box, they should be buried properly either under water or deep layers of soil to avoid discovery or contamination to the adjacent plants and animals.
So these were some of the alarming effects of nuclear waste, they can be prevented only with human awareness because we are the sole producers of this ingenious materiel that is helping out in our progress but again on the other hand we are the one who are suffering the most due to nuclear waste problems. The more wars are waged the more we are going to harm the environment with these kinds of toxic products which will only jeopardize our lives.
There had been a surge of nuclear inventions during and after World War II from making missiles to mining and even in medical science. Earlier man was not bothered about the hazards of nuclear waste and thus abundant use in every sphere started out. The nuclear missiles launched by the European countries were not only destroying the victim nation but the world at large, this was totally unknown to the powerful countries. Then gradually new kinds of diseases such cancer, Parkinson’s, and decreased fertility rates started emerging which opened the eyes of scientists who were earlier enthusiastic about using nuclear power in every possible spheres. In depth research found out that it is the exposure to various wastes emitted from these nuclear plants that is causing this massive catastrophe to mankind.
Now it is required for the sake of our coming generations to manage the waste from nuclear plants so that they don’t cause any more pollution.