In our daily lives we do several such things that become some of the key water pollution causes. The things that we do to make our lives convenient or to trigger progress for mankind in turn harms the environment in various ways be it in the form of soil, air, or water pollution. So below are some of the key water pollution facts that can make you aware of the causes, solutions and also some of the water pollution effects.
20 water pollution facts that you must know
- Every year water pollution causes 250 million recorded cases of water generated diseases with about 5-10 million cases of death.
- Water pollution statistics have produced that 45% streams of USA, 32% of her bays and 475 of her lakes are polluted beyond recovery these are effects of nitrogen and phosphorus deposition from industrial wastes
- 50% of earth’s groundwater reserve is becoming non suitable for drinking due water pollution effects and now only about .007% of water is accessible for the use of mankind.
- The water pollution facts state that sanitation problems claim more and more lives in diseases than the amount of lives lost in any war
- The water pollution statistics also say that in every twenty seconds a kid dies from water generated ailment. Children in a polluted ambience can carry around 1,000 parasitic viruses in their bodies at any point of time and this is due to their developing immune system.
- At any point of time, half of the hospital beds in the world are occupied by patients suffering from water borne diseases.
- Around 85% of the actual of area of Bangladesh has groundwater that is contaminated with arsenic and is thus considered poisonous for human use. This is the reason why 1-2 million people in Bangladesh are exposed to the lethal effects of arsenic polluted water.
- Septic and sanitary systems in many countries use the nearest river waters as a place of dumping, these untreated sanitary and even industrial wastes that are unleashed in the river waters hurt the river animals and also according to ocean pollution facts they harm the oceanic ecosystem.
- Asian rivers are becoming infamous day by day for their rising pollution levels. Scientific researchers have found out that that these rivers contain three times as much bacteria from human wastes as the universal average and 20 times more iron and lead than rivers in other industry oriented countries.
- The King River in Australia is considered one of the most lethally contaminated and polluted rivers in the world. In this river more than 1 million sea birds and 100,000 river water mammals and other organisms have died due to the toxins and the intense acid level in the water.
- In Ireland around 30% of the rivers are contaminated from sewage and fertilizers which make it impossible for aquatic life to sustain and that is also harmful for fishing, swimming and other aquatic sports.
- The United Nations have estimated that by the year 2025, around forty eight countries having a combined population of about 2.8 billion are bound to face sweet water or drinking water scarcity. http://ks.water.usgs.gov/
- Ocean pollution facts state that every year about 25% of the beaches in USA are closed down at least for once yearly because of sea water pollution. They face either oil spillage hazards or dead creatures drifting ashore for the rise of pollution level in the seas.
- Among the agricultural countries of the world America only uses more than 2.2 billion pounds of pesticides each year, which is consequently washed into the rivers and lakes.
- Water pollution facts also put forward that wastage of water in urban areas are more than rural areas and even farmlands it is said that only Americans in their daily shower of 5 minutes use more water than a person in a other countries use in an entire day.
- The river Mississippi that drains more than forty percent of continental USA, carry an approximate amount of 1.5 metric tons of nitrogen based pollutants into the Gulf of Mexico each year. This pollution is causing a dead coastal zone every summer which is almost the entire area of Massachusetts.
- Oil spillage which is a common occurrence in the oil rig areas or that which are caused by a sinking ship carrying massive cargos of oil are poisoning the sea beds, so that every many species of animals and corals are getting lost.
- Hot water from industries are rising the temperature of seas and oceans.
- Even tourism causes water pollution from the diesels of the sea vessels and speedboats.
- A shocking count of 320 million people in China has no access to pure drinking water.
So folks hope these flabbergasting facts about water pollution will stir your consciousness so that you take positive steps to prevent them.
There has been a lot of ruckus about environmental issues and even though there are countless protesters who are trying to eliminate major issues like pollution and global warming, there is hardly any progress and the earth is reaching a critical state quite rapidly. Recent environmental data suggests that there are 5 major environmental issues we should be dealing with right now. ‘Going green’ is an absolute must and if we want to reverse the effects of global warming we should be dealing with these 5 issues right now. There has already been a lot of effort on waste reduction, energy efficiency and recycling. Conservation efforts have also been at an all-time high in an attempt to preserve the ecosystems we live in. Let’s take a look at top 5 environmental issues we need to take care of right now:
Environmental data suggests immediate action against these 5 environmental issues:
According to environmental data air pollution is out biggest concern. It is one of the most common types of pollution and it can be caused due to a wide range of factors including industrialisation, mining, farming, fires and vehicular pollution. There are many threats to the purity of the air we breathe and it is not only harming the Earth’s atmosphere but also our health. Air pollution effects can be very severe and may lead to various kinds of chronic illnesses. If we want to help ourselves and our planet we need to bring carbon emissions into check. There has been a rise in industrialization and we must try to contain the alarming rate at which our society is being polluted. It is one of the top global warming causes and we need to curb it immediately.
Water pollution is one of the top global warming causes and in some cases its effects may be worse than air pollution effects. Water pollution almost always begins on land. It can arise out of a variety of factors including oil leaks, chemical dumping, and nuclear waste and agricultural runoffs. In recent times fracking has also been one of the biggest contributors to water pollution. Many companies do not bother to remove the fracking liquid after their extraction projects and it runs off into nearby water bodies, causing massive amounts of water pollution. Water pollution facts can be very scary and even though most of our planet is covered in water, we do not have access to sufficient drinking water. If we continue damaging our oceans at this alarming rate we will end up damaging our ecosystems.
While climate change has often been dissed as something conspiracy theorists have coughed up. It is a sad truth that it is actually happening and there is nothing to do with any kind of conspiracy theory. There has been a huge increase in the earth’s temperature and it has led to a variety of weather fluctuations across the globe. In the last 100 years the average temperature has raised by a couple degrees. While the number might seem miniscule you should know that if the temperature continues to rise at this rate there could be some extremely dangerous effects that might bring us closer to the earth’s end. Water pollution facts state that there has been a lot of nuclear waste that is making the earth’s water contaminated and it is leading to a loss of balance in the ecosystem. We must take immediate measures if we want to save the Earth as we know it. Considering about 1% of the Earth’s water can be consumed, we should take active steps in ensuring we do not waste water and do not let others waste water as well at all costs. Our Earth is a common home to all of us and we need to take care of it if we want to live a life of peace and comfort. It is not only necessary for us but also for our children and we need to provide them a safe future.
Overuse of fossil fuels
One of the most harmful activities humans do on earth is the overconsumption of fossil fuels. We are too reliant on our natural resources and we are depleting our stock of resources at an alarming rate. There have been various attempts to shift to renewable sources of energy and even the most polluted countries like China are making attempts to prevent further damage to the Earth. Electric cars are becoming quite common and industries are shifting to energy efficient technologies. One of the biggest issues with using fossil fuels is that they are quite polluting in nature and most of today’s technologies in the lesser developed countries are reliant on it. Digging up fossil fuels also damages the earth’s atmosphere and activities like fracking have led to a lot of disruptions in the natural ecosystems that we survive in.
According to environmental data one of the biggest environmental issues is linked to the massive rate of population growth. Countries are expanding at alarming rates and the population density is going out of control. More people mean more destruction of natural habitats to accommodate humans. It also leads to a more extensive usage of natural resources and there is very little we can do anything about it unless people become more aware and control the population themselves. Having a high population leads to more waste, lesser amounts of air per person, increase in fossil fuel usage and also resource efficiency takes a hit. It also affects the standard of living among people and we need to take care of such problems as soon as possible to ensure our future generations can survive in peace.
These are the top 5 issues that are plaguing our earth. We need to be proactive in dealing with them to ensure a happier stay on our planet Earth.