Day in day out the progress of science is making human lives convenient but one of the key products of 20th Century science nuclear waste is creating ruckus to the environment. From rocket science to medical science the use of nuclear power is increasing everyday but then why should we overlook the dangers that unorganized usage and disposal of nuclear energy is doing to our lives? Nuclear science is making revolutions in the history of mankind but the mismanagement of nuclear waste disposal is causing the nuclear pollutions in the world. If you are still unaware take a look the below list to know what harm it is doing to mankind and the entire earth.
The 10 most important effects of nuclear waste
- The nuclear power plants produce huge amount of nuclear wastes which either goes down to the nearest water bodies or mixes up in the soil and this in turn reduces the fertility of the soil and the death of various aquatic creatures.
- One of the nuclear waste facts that should not be ignored is that any kind of exposure to nuclear radiation be it from a waste or while working in the plants can cause cell damage, defect of DNA or the CNS
- So nuclear waste disposal needs to be very organized and careful, preferably in a box of lead.
- Nuclear waste problems are crippling many of the developed nations which are so densely populated that industries do not get a land away from the localities to dispose these things.
- Mining and thorium, uranium refining places emit a lot of nuclear that cause marine water poisoning so that even swimming, or having fishes from these water bodies can make you a victim of the danger of nuclear waste. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26441154
- Non stochastic or immediate causes of health hazards one of the effects of nuclear waste this can happen due to high level of direct exposure to radioactive radiations. This happens among workers in nuclear plants who do not wear radiation proof costumes. They face problems such as nausea, dizziness, abdomen pain, loss of eye sight and so on.
- On the other hand danger of nuclear waste health hazards can be long term or stochastic they work slowly to damage the body and only later do they show up in a fatal form like neural problems, internal hemorrhage, change in the chemical composition of blood, birth defects in later generations and even death.
- One of the important nuclear waste facts is that Northern Europe owing to its abundance of nuclear processing plants is becoming the haven of nuclear waste oriented troubles. The nuclear waste storage there is going out of hands due to the uncountable nuclear plants both legal and illegal.
- Even considerable amount of chemotherapy can cause radiation problems among patients so that even though they cure from cancer their immune system becomes depleted making their bodies and bones weak so that they don’t survive many years.
- Nuclear waste storage should be done far away from the human residential areas in a black lead box, they should be buried properly either under water or deep layers of soil to avoid discovery or contamination to the adjacent plants and animals.
So these were some of the alarming effects of nuclear waste, they can be prevented only with human awareness because we are the sole producers of this ingenious materiel that is helping out in our progress but again on the other hand we are the one who are suffering the most due to nuclear waste problems. The more wars are waged the more we are going to harm the environment with these kinds of toxic products which will only jeopardize our lives.
There had been a surge of nuclear inventions during and after World War II from making missiles to mining and even in medical science. Earlier man was not bothered about the hazards of nuclear waste and thus abundant use in every sphere started out. The nuclear missiles launched by the European countries were not only destroying the victim nation but the world at large, this was totally unknown to the powerful countries. Then gradually new kinds of diseases such cancer, Parkinson’s, and decreased fertility rates started emerging which opened the eyes of scientists who were earlier enthusiastic about using nuclear power in every possible spheres. In depth research found out that it is the exposure to various wastes emitted from these nuclear plants that is causing this massive catastrophe to mankind.
Now it is required for the sake of our coming generations to manage the waste from nuclear plants so that they don’t cause any more pollution.